Review: If you want to know how to decorate lovely cakes for birthdays or special occasions and DON'T have the time or money to invest in taking Wilton classes, this is the product for you. I would have saved myself so much time and money if I had had this video when I first took classes. Here are some reasons I appreciate Kathy's video:
- The video's organization. The video is divided into important areas of decorating knowledge: supplies needed, recipes for decorator frosting, decorating tips and their purposes, and more. The amount of information provided is just what you need to know in order to begin the process of cake decorating.
- Kathy's pleasant speaking voice. Kathy is so likeable- from the first moment you hear her Alabama drawl. You will feel like you are in the kitchen cooking with a friend (albeit a very talented, experienced friend). :o)
- The DVD format. The fact that you can review information when/as needed is crucial in learning good cake decorating skills. The DVD format makes that easy to do. If you can't remember how to do a perfect shell, simply return to that part of the DVD. If you need to jot down a recipe or list, pause the DVD. So helpful.
- The close-ups. Seeing the piping bag so closely (as well as the angle at which it is held) is a huge plus over taking regular classes. Truthfully, I never saw my instructor's hand closely (I had to crane my neck to actually see my instructor at times), so seeing the "close-ups" really help to get your angle correct- which hugely impacts how your frosting appears.
- The fact that Kathy herself "messes up"...and she shows you how to fix it. Oh, how I appreciated this! In my cake decorating classes, my instructor NEVER messed up- therefore, we never knew how to fix our mistakes! Kathy shows you how to repair dropped garlands and more. Cake decorating is an art, and even artists at times need to correct mistakes on their canvases. I appreciated Kathy showing how to correct those inevitable boo-boos, rather than pretending that everything always goes as planned (Note to novice cake decorators...it DOESN'T!). :o)
Now, for some additional information: If you are looking for tutelage on how to do everything when it comes to cake decorating, you will be severely disappointed. I've taken 3 classes, can make wedding cakes, and still don't know all there is to know! This video delivers what it promises: basic cake decorating skills. Cake decorating takes lots of practice, so be prepared to take time to learn! I think this is a fantastic video for "getting your feet wet", and it will have you easily creating lovely cakes for your family without the usual expense in getting started. :o)